Why Stretching is important before exercise?
Stretching is a form of exercise technique in which a specific muscle /muscle group is stretched inorder to improve the muscle’s elasticity resulting in increased flexibility, range of motion and muscle control.
Your usual routine of exercise should be warm up which includes stretching and then exercise, ending with stretching again. However a lot of people may still wonder is stretching that important? Well the answer is YES!
Just as strength and endurance exercises are essential to improve muscle performance, overall health and well-being, stretching exercises are equally important. They prepare the body for the amount of stress it is going to undergo due to exercise. Stretching makes the body more pliable which decreases the risk of injuries due to exercise.
10 Reasons why Stretching is so Important:
- Reduces tightness
- Increases range of motion of joints
- Increases blood circulation
- Reduces muscle soreness
- Prepares body for the stress due to exercise
- Prevents injuries
- Avoids any strains/sprains
- Improves Posture
- Promotes free movement
- Enhances relaxation
- Reduces overall stress
Here are few stretches you can perform in your daily exercise routine, however you must always consult a Physiotherapist or Doctor before starting these if you are suffering from any conditions.
Few tips to keep in mind while stretching:
- Each stretch should be maintained for atleast 30 seconds
- Stretching should not be done just once in awhile, it’s of no use. You must do it every time you exercise and stick to the routine to get optimum results.
- Also remember stretching if done incorrectly can have adverse effects, always consult a Physiotherapist before you begin it to learn the right techniques, sometimes customised to suit you to get the best benefits instead of injuries.
When should you not stretch:
- Recent fracture, strain or sprain
- Any joint/bone infection or inflammation
- Open wound/ soft tissue injury
- Limited range of motion
Finally stretching will make you feel more free, relax and you will be able to enjoy your exercise to the utmost. You will be able to perform different physical activities like running, cycling, swimming, or some other sports activities and not just regular exercise with great comfort. You will no longer feel tight or suffer any strains/sprains post exercise and enjoy all your activities. Happy exercising!!!
Click HERE to schedule a complementary consultation with our expert physiotherapist.